We are looking for a product-focused software engineer as of now who will join our Feature Engineering team that is dedicated to developing customer-facing features.
About the job
DNSimple offers and operates critical infrastructure for our customers with DNS and domain management. Both areas demand a high degree of operational and maintenance work to provide a reliable and trustworthy service. With that work on the table, the team faces the challenge to continuously innovate, enhance and release new features for our customers.
In 2021, we decided to form a dedicated team that focuses primarily on extending and enhancing our product - serving our vision of helping anyone connecting their domains to services without thinking about DNS. The Feature Engineering team develops features from end to end, including the rollout phase by providing documentation and creating useful content. For inspiration, please have a look at our recent release and announcement of Domain Access Control.
We recently adopted Shape Up, helping us achieve better results and being more engaged in product development within the company. The adoption is still in the early stages, but we are happy with the results and convinced about the value it provides.
Besides focusing primarily on feature engineering, the engineering team made a conscious decision a few years ago. We don’t want to completely delegate responsibilities to the corresponding team for operating systems and helping customers. Therefore, everyone participates in the On-Call rotation and customer support. We believe in the value of getting exposed regularly to those topics.
Here are some of the projects you might contribute to:
- Implement a new Heroku connector to simplify the DNS and domain setup for Netlify hosted systems.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Incrementally improve features based on customer feedback.
- Provide direct support to our customers and participate in On-Call rotations.
- Create a new support document that explains how to use our Heroku Connector.
- Update our existing marketing pages to mention a new feature that we’ve added to our Let’s Encrypt certificates.
As part of the team, you are going to develop features in a full-stack manneracross our various applications - participating in all phases of the product development.
You should be an experienced programmer with enhanced expertise with Ruby and Ruby on Rails. It is a plus if you have worked with other programming languages, like Go.
You go beyond code and embed the customer perspective into your daily work and results. You are engaged in making a release a success for our customers by supporting them, writing documentation, and creating valuable content.
DNSimple is a remote-first, distributed company since 2010. The majority of our communication happens asynchronously in text form. You should be comfortable and experienced in expressing yourself in writing.