UPchieve is looking for an experienced engineer to join our team. In this role, you’ll work with our product & engineering team (which includes other engineers, a product lead, and a product designer) and our business teams to build the world’s best tutoring platform for low-income students. Given our early stage, you’ll have the opportunity to influence all aspects of our organization, from technical and product strategy to team culture. You’ll play a key role in helping us accomplish our 2030 goal of scaling free tutoring to all 8 million low-income high school students in the U.S.
This might be the right job for you if…
- You’re scrappy and entrepreneurial. If you don’t know how to do something, you’ll find someone to ask or read The Internet™ until you can
- You’re excited by the challenge of building a platform on par with other successful consumer-facing educational platforms like Khan Academy and Duolingo
- You are a team player who sees genuine value in helping other engineers improve their skills
- You’re opinionated AND open-minded. You relish having conversations about architecture and technical trade-offs with other engineers
- You have high quality standards and take pride in a clean and well organized code base
- You think critically about everything you do and aren’t afraid to ask questions
What you’ll do
- Design and build new features
- Proactively review other team members’ code, leaving thoughtful and constructive feedback that helps them improve
- Define standards to ensure high levels of performance, scalability, and reliability of our platform
- Improve our internal workflow to help everyone ship code faster
- Think critically about our product and business, ask questions, and suggest changes
We’re looking for someone who...
- Has been a member of multiple different engineering teams and seen various development processes in play
- (Bonus) Has prior experience with our tech stack: Node.js, React Native, Vue.js, WebSockets, TypeScript, PostgreSQL
- (Bonus) Has prior experience with devops and/or QA
- (Bonus) Is interested in open source
Our process: Screening call (~30 mins) → Project (max 3 hours) → Interviews (~3 hours) → (Optional) Team meet-and-greet → Reference checks & offer!
Note that it can take us a few weeks from when you submit your application to invite you to a screening call. Unfortunately, we can typically only bring the top ~15 candidates forward to screening calls (which for some roles may work out to < 10% of applicants).